You are viewing skb12573's blog MyFitnessPal is a 100% Free Calorie Counter and Diet Plan

RACE DAY! My first 5k!

5k at the West Chester Hospital today, benefitting 3 local organizations. I was excited all day and afraid to eat much because my belly was rumbly! LOL! I chalk it up to nerves! Or being under the weather. I have had a cough and ran a fever last night but I woke up feeling pretty good! Even my shin splints were minimal! Kit and the girls came along for this momentous occasion. We arrived about an hour before race time and checked in, got the t-shirt, my number and timer and milled around the area looking at the booths until the Carter family arrived. Mr. Carter kept us informed of the time and before I knew it -race time! It was hotter than I expected and the whole race course was in the full 6pm sun. It was exciting as we started out. My family was waving to me, my little one cried for me... Mrs. Carter and I started out together but due to her recent hamstring injury, she had to slack off fairly soon. I remember a point where a man shouted out it was .6miles into the race -I really felt like it should be more like 1.6!!! It was a gradual uphill run for quite a while so I was thrilled there were several water stations! The scenery was gorgeous as the route took us around the lake. I had to walk several times to stretch out when the shins felt crampy but I was able to run most of it! Around mile 1.75, the sun was dead ahead and I developed a headache... I was sweating before the race even started so, I'm thinking I was dehydrated and over-heated by now. I saw a gal from work walking her new dog in the grass and chatted as I went by -then set back to running. Mile 2-2.5 was an uphill climb, literally. I was running pretty much alone the last 15 minutes of the race and as I looped back around toward the finish I passed the same point where the man had shouted out ".6mile in" and I knew I was going to make it afterall! As I ran around the corner, I saw Kit and the girls. He let them run out to me when I got closer and I hugged them while running and they ran accross the finish line with me!!! Upon finishing, I was awarded a white boa and a 'medal' and then we were all treated to one AWESOME after party with tons of foods, drawings, food, live band and did I say food?! Kit took a lot of pictures and documented the event well for me. He hugged me and kissed me and told me how proud he was of me. It felt great. And you know what, I am proud of me too! I have lost 85 pounds since February, and gone literally from the couch to a 5K! Who cares that I am slow (official race time 50:28), that my body is now sore and tired, that I had to walk a few bits. I DID IT!

Yes, exactly like that

I read another blog today that had this drawing. Success, definitely not a straight path for me. But I am okay with that. Most days. I am struggling with old eating habits, unhealthy choices, going for convenience items, making excuses. I feel really great and on top of the world when I see a clean diary and productive exercise day. Then the next day, the creeper in me has taken over and those nasty calories and lazy molecules really do me in. I am still looking for that EASY button. Who took it?! Ah well, as long as I know the SUCCESS button still works -even if slowly. :)

About Me
About MyFitnessPal
Join MyFitnessPal today and lose weight the healthy way. Get your own 100% free diet blog and calorie counter. Put away your credit card - you'll never pay a cent."

join now for free