Message Boards » Fitness and Exercise

TOPIC: How Accurate is the Polar FT7?

 
Ic_disabled_photos
Topic has been inactive for 30 days or more and images have been disabled.
Display All Images
March 15, 2013 5:24 PM
I just bought mine today, however, I have 60 days to return it if I'd like a higher end model (FT40). Before I go around to using it first thing tomorrow, is there anything I should know about the accuracy? Should I deduct a certain percentage of calories? How accurate is it?

Thank you!
March 15, 2013 5:31 PM
None of them are exact but (speaking for Polar model) I have the FT60 model and have used it over my weightloss and have found it to be a great tool for my cardio. I eat back my exercise calories but only 85% leaving 15% for error in accuracy and my own logging.... I have friends that have the FT7 and love it... I went with the FT60 because of the capabilities of upgrading to add GPS but mainly because it allows you to set your Vo2 max for better accuracy....... Best of Luck......
  12269569
March 15, 2013 5:31 PM
I usually deducted 20-80 calories off whatever it told me- depending on the magnitude of my burn. Can't say how that compares to... anything else... but it worked for me. I tracked 95% of my workouts for about 8 months and steadily lost weight using those as my exercise calorie numbers.
March 15, 2013 5:35 PM
I love my FT7. I've had it for a good 6 months now, if not longer. It measures calories just as any other HRM would. It doesn't deduct anything, it just measures calories based on your specifics (gender, height, weight, etc.) and HR. I would recommend deducting a certain percentage of your choice just for error's sake. I usually never eat back all of my exercise calories. I basically only use mine when I know I'll be doing exercise specifically, i.e. going to the gym, going for a fast-paced walk, going for a run, hiking, etc. If you were a true die-hard you could easily wear it all day for a 24-hour period to get your average caloric burn and figure out extra calories/daily calories from there. I will say, occasionally it doesn't read right and if you don't check it every so often you could end up with a 0 calorie count because it pops up on the wristwatch as "Check heart rate monitor!". That's the only frustrating part about it for me. The most common time that happens is when I'm doing strength training where I'm either sitting or having to bend my torso. Good luck & have fun with it!
Edited by betweenthebirds On March 15, 2013 5:37 PM

Reply

Message Boards » Fitness and Exercise

Posts by members, moderators and admins should not be considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy.