TOPIC: High Volume Low Calorie Meal Ideas?
February 01, 2013 16:13
roasted vegetables - zucchini, eggplant, red onion, red peppers, mushrooms...coated with olive oil and seasons....put in the oven for 15-20 minutes on 400 degrees. Very filling and low calories.
February 27, 2013 10:53
Also Hairy Bikers diet recipe Jambalaya
serves 6 341 cals per person so 2046cals for the lot so if your only cooking for 2 just do a third or half the recipe.
* 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
* 100g chorizo (we like picante)
* 1 tbsp olive oil
* 1 large onion, roughly chopped
* 4 slender celery sticks, cut into
* 1cm slices
* 2 small green peppers, deseeded
* and cut into 2cm chunks
* 5 large ripe vine tomatoes
* (about 475g)
* 3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
* 1 tbsp paprika
* ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
* 1 tsp dried thyme
* 1 tsp dried oregano
* 2 bay leaves
* 200g long-grain rice (we often use
* the easy-cook version)
* 450ml chicken stock, made with
* 1 chicken stock cube
* 100g cooked peeled king
* prawns, thawed if frozen
* 6 spring onions, sliced (including
* lots of green)
* flaked sea salt
* freshly ground black pepper
1. Cut the chicken thighs into bite-sized pieces, removing any excess fat, and season them with salt and pepper. Skin the sausage and cut it into 5mm slices. Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan or non-stick sauté pan and fry the chicken for 3 minutes over a medium heat until lightly coloured. Add the chorizo and cook for 30 seconds more, then transfer the chicken and chorizo with tongs to a large plate or tray.
2. Tip most of the oil out of the frying pan and chuck it away. Return the empty pan to the heat and turn the heat down to low. Stir in the onion, celery and green peppers and cook for 8?10 minutes until well softened, stirring occasionally.
3. Meanwhile, skin the tomatoes. Cut them in half and remove the green stem ends, then roughly chop the rest of the flesh - no need to deseed.
4. Stir the crushed garlic, paprika, cayenne, thyme, oregano and bay leaves into the frying pan and cook for 20?30 seconds, stirring. Increase the heat and add the chopped tomatoes and any juice that has collected on the board. Cook for 5 minutes or until the tomatoes are well softened, stirring regularly.
5. Return the chicken and chorizo to the pan, add the rice and cook for about a minute, stirring. Pour over the stock, season with a pinch of salt and lots of black pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 10 minutes or until the rice is just tender and most of the liquid has evaporated or been absorbed by the rice, stirring occasionally. The rice should still be pretty saucy at this point, so if your rice takes longer to cook, you may need to add a little more stock.
6. Stir in the prawns and spring onions and cook for about 2 minutes more or until the prawns are hot, stirring regularly, then serve.
I made this last weekend and it was really tasty and filling. Mine was very saucy because I used two cans diced tomatoes with the juice instead of 5 fresh tomatoes, but we liked it that way.
February 27, 2013 10:55
As already mentioned but can't say enough: chicken breast and 25 different spice/marinade combinations
Posts by members, moderators and admins should not be considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy.