What you need:
- 6 cups puffed rice cereal (I used and organic, all natural cereal with no additives.)
- 10 oz marshmallows (I used Kraft jet puffed.)
- 3 tbsps butter (I used unsalted.)
- 3 oz. dark chocolate (Optional, but highly recommend! I used Endangered Species 72% dark chocolate.)
What to do:
- Melt butter in large sauce pan over med/low heat.
- Add marshmallows and stir until smooth.
- Turn off heat and mix in puffed rice cereal.
- Press into a lightly greased 14x10 inch pan. (I greased mine very lightly with olive oil.)
- Break chocolate bar into chunks into a microwave safe bowl and heat in microwave; stirring at 30 second intervals until melted.
- Drizzle melted chocolate over puffed rice mixture.
- Let set for about an hour or until chocolate has solidified again.
- Cut into 2 inch squares with a sharp knife and enjoy! (Yields 35 squares.)
They aren't as sweet as regular rice crispy treats, but they are super delicious and chewy! I put them into the MFP database as "Megan's Puffed Rice Treats" if you want to see their detailed nutritional info.