Message Boards » Food and Nutrition

TOPIC: Chicken left out over night? eat or no?

 
Ic_disabled_photos
Topic has been inactive for 30 days or more and images have been disabled.
Display All Images
February 22, 2012 5:59 AM
QUOTE:

I cooked some chicken and left it out all night (12hours) in a sealed container.... Eat or no?


If you decide to eat it - if you recook it until the internal temperature is 170 degress you should be fine. The heat should kill any bacteria lerking in your poultry
February 22, 2012 5:59 AM
Uh no.......unless you want to take a chance on explosive diarrhea...chachacha
February 22, 2012 6:00 AM
noooooooooooooooooonoway
February 22, 2012 6:01 AM
Absolutely NOT. Chicken begins to form bacteria that can make you very ill after 2 hours out of the refrigerator. DO NOT EAT IT!
February 22, 2012 6:02 AM
QUOTE:

Does it look like this?
Image not displayed

just carve off the mold and eat it, steak is the best when aged, i do it with cheese all the time.
February 22, 2012 6:02 AM
i wouldnt risk the food poisoning , unless you wanna lose a fast 5 lbs :)
February 22, 2012 6:02 AM
lol people on this forum are a little ocd. Since I was a kid my mum has been making chicken curry and leaving it out in the cooking pot (covered) overnight. I have never been sick or ill from eating 1 day day old left out chicken curry - Even it being left out 2 days has NEVER done my any harm!
  4667320
February 22, 2012 6:02 AM
NO!!!love
  6067958
February 22, 2012 6:04 AM
I would absolutely not eat it. It's been out far too long in the temperature zone where bacteria multiply the fastest. It's a foodborne illness just waiting to happen!
  5317434
February 22, 2012 6:05 AM
Glad you didnt waste it :-)
I always do that, if its just 1 day/night, as long as you re-heat it so its sizzling hot then its fine.
February 22, 2012 6:05 AM
Chicken will start to form bacteria within hours of being left out. I would throw it out! It's better to be safe than sorry. I have had food poisoning, never again! If I can help it...
February 22, 2012 6:05 AM
Did you eat it?
February 22, 2012 6:06 AM
Is it safe to eat leftover food that was left out on the counter to cool at dinnertime, then forgotten until morning? Will additional cooking kill the bacteria that may have grown?

No. Bacteria exist everywhere in nature. They are in the soil, air, water, and the foods we eat. When they have nutrients (food), moisture, and favorable temperatures, they grow rapidly, increasing in numbers to the point where some types of bacteria can cause illness. Bacteria grow most rapidly in the range of temperatures between 40 and 140 °F, some doubling in number in as little as 20 minutes. Some types will produce toxins that are not destroyed by cooking.

Pathogenic bacteria do not generally affect the taste, smell, or appearance of a food. In other words, one cannot tell that a food has been mishandled or is dangerous to eat. For example, food that has been left too long on the counter may be dangerous to eat, but could smell and look fine. If a food has been left in the "Danger Zone" – between 40 and 140 °F – for more than 2 hours, discard it, even though it may look and smell good. Never taste a food to see if it is spoiled.
(Sources: Keeping Food Safe During an Emergency; Fighting BAC!® by Chilling Out; Refrigeration and Food Safety.)

FROM THE USDA web site! Hope it's helpful to all!
February 22, 2012 6:07 AM
Not a good idea to eat... but if you don't belive me ask the experts....

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Food_Safety_Education/Ask_Karen/index.asp?src_location=IWT&src_page=Home
  6302528
February 22, 2012 6:08 AM
I wouldn't have eaten it. No way, no how. I wouldn't even eat pizza that had been left out. We even refridgerate our bread!!
  15754398
February 22, 2012 6:09 AM
It would be ashamed to waste your chicken but it would be more of a shame to get sick. I would throw it out
  2793411
February 22, 2012 6:10 AM
I would. But I know my thoughts on these matters aren't in line with the norm. I'll eat anything that doesn't look or smell like it's gone bad. (For example, I like leftover pizza better if it's not kept in the fridge, and I'll still eat it after it's been sitting on the counter for up to 3 days. And, actually, I would still eat it after even longer than that if it wasn't getting hard. So I might not be the best one to listen to here.) :)
  3854500
February 22, 2012 6:10 AM
go ahead and eat it. it will help keep your immune system up to date laugh i would eat it smile i'm a nurse and have already decided when nuclear warfare breaks out it will be me and the cockroaches left. that or the govenment will take me and do tests on my immune system. i work in pediatrics and the only time i ever get sick is if i have a sinus infection. kids cough and sneeze on me all day long and i've been known to eat pizza that has been left out. like everyone else says, if it smells ok eat it.
  7798154
February 22, 2012 6:12 AM
QUOTE:

Its around 70 in my house but I think a little cooler... I like it cool!!!

Its cooked with mushrooms...

I am putting it back in the fridge for later... smell is ok!!!

thanks :)


so long as you reheat it long enough to kill anything that grew you should be okay... plus if you cooked it to an acceptable temperature in the first place, before leaving it out.
my lunch for work often has chicken or other perishables that sit for 6-12 hours unrefrigerated in my lunch bag... havent had a problem so far!
  4176812
February 22, 2012 6:14 AM
QUOTE:

Not a good idea to eat... but if you don't belive me ask the experts....

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Food_Safety_Education/Ask_Karen/index.asp?src_location=IWT&src_page=Home


Great minds! We went right to the same site! :)
February 22, 2012 6:18 AM
Aw...this reminds me of a friend of mine. He cooks gumbo in a gargantuan pot that would no way fit into his fridge. He cooks it, eats some, leaves it on the stove, re-heats it, eats some more, leaves it on the stove...it'll sit there for three days sometimes, depending on how many people are eating it. No one's ever gotten sick, although from a today's health conscious standpoint, it's rather gross. But the bacteria are part of what make gumbo taste so good, disgusting as the thought is. Personally, I try not to leave food out over night, but since we keep the apartment pretty chilly to sleep, if I do, it's not the end of the world. The only thing I've ever thrown out, after leaving it out too long, was raw meat. And the only time I've ever gotten food poisoning (salmonella is EVIL) was from a contaminated water pitcher that was in the fridge.
  15164137
February 22, 2012 6:27 AM
no way!!! chicken is only good out on the counter for 4 hours or so. don't eat it! or eat it, if you are feeling adventurous.
  4565572
February 22, 2012 6:28 AM
QUOTE:

I wouldn't chance it.
February 22, 2012 6:28 AM
throw. it. out. my dad's a food scientist.
February 22, 2012 6:29 AM
im sure it would be fine, what did people do in the old days !
  11277820

Reply

Message Boards » Food and Nutrition

Posts by members, moderators and admins should not be considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy.