Message Boards » Food and Nutrition

TOPIC: Chicken left out over night? eat or no?

 
Ic_disabled_photos
Topic has been inactive for 30 days or more and images have been disabled.
Display All Images
February 21, 2012 12:24 AM
hi.. i work as a cook in a childrens play centre, the guidelines are it should be kept in a fridge and i would never serve it to the children but i have eaten it myself and it was fine. suppose it depends how warm your room is.
February 21, 2012 12:29 AM
umm, yeah 12 hours is nothing. You will be more than fine. I have left food on the stove for 24 hours after cooking it (I'm a bachelor, dont judge me)

Once cooked, you have about 24 hours to put the stuff back into the fridge. Ofcourse it depend son the dish, the more...liquidy the higher the chances it'll go bad faster. Also depends on the temperature. The colder your kitchen is, the longer it'll last.

The best thing to do (and the reason humans have this amazing technology) is to just snif it. I ALWAYS snif food before putting it in fridge and snif it before eating
  17121359
February 21, 2012 12:34 AM
Ach - If it were me I would eat it. I don't tend to adhere to the rules too much. I wouldn't serve it to a child/old person/guest :)

I used to work in the food industry and am fully aware of the rules - temps and 20 minute rule etc, but I don't always apply it to myself at home.

Report back :)
  15729527
February 21, 2012 12:37 AM
I had too many microbiology classes. I say no. But I have issues because I know what bacteria could be growing.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/help/faqs_hotline_preparation/index.asp#6 <---they agree with me ;-)
  4864089
February 21, 2012 12:37 AM
With out a doubt do not eat it. If its left out for that long most likely its growing bacteria regardless of being in a container or not. It may work for pizza but meat, not so much.
  17582135
February 21, 2012 12:38 AM
I wouldnt eat it if your gona have it cold but just reheat it adequately, you'll be fine !
February 21, 2012 12:55 AM
Does it look like this?
Image not displayed
February 21, 2012 12:58 AM
ya, but I just ate around all that lol...no it does notlol
February 21, 2012 12:59 AM
Throw it out. No sense in risking Salmonella.
Edited by cameroncody49426 On February 21, 2012 12:59 AM
February 21, 2012 1:57 AM
Absolutely not. I wouldn't even think about eating it.
  7988625
February 21, 2012 2:17 AM
I live by this saying

If in doubt throw it out
  10115373
February 21, 2012 9:12 AM
QUOTE:

Does it look like this?
Image not displayed


It's fine, the lovely green fur adds fiber and helps prevent you from getting a cold.
February 21, 2012 9:28 AM
Me personally have had chicken that was in my frig for a week after cooking. If you really don't want it then don't eat it. But if you do want to ingest it, microwave that bird on high.
February 21, 2012 9:33 AM
QUOTE:

Definitely not! It will have been I. The danger zone (5 and 60 degrees Celsius) for more than 20 minutes. You will make yourself sick


Have to ask, are you saying that even if it was in the fridge (lets assume fridge is 7 Celsius) overnight that you would not eat it?
  78736
February 21, 2012 10:00 AM
QUOTE:

I had too many microbiology classes. I say no. But I have issues because I know what bacteria could be growing.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/help/faqs_hotline_preparation/index.asp#6 <---they agree with me ;-)


Ok for all of us who believed it was ok, go look at the link above. You know, ignorance is bliss some time!
  78736
February 21, 2012 10:32 AM
Ah no. I would not. I am very picky in my food care. I don't like being sick.
  11104602
February 21, 2012 10:36 AM
Don't eat it if you are not cooking it again. Cut it up and make it in another recipe (Stew, Chili, Soup, Stri fry). If you cook it it should kill any bacteria.
February 21, 2012 9:45 PM
update.. smelled great, microwaved and tasted great also!!!
February 21, 2012 9:49 PM
It will be perfectly fine. If it was defrosted and raw I would say no --- but cooked is fine.
  10285413
February 22, 2012 5:49 AM
A big fat NO! Some chicken doesn't cost that much compared to being on the couch all day with stomach cramps!!!! That was my DH's way of thinking until he ate a chicken sandwich that was left out. It was cooked and I didn't eat all of it. He was unloading my car and thought I had just bought it and didn't finish it. It was only a couple of hours since I purchased it. He was soooo sick. We were getting ready to leave for vacation and he was on the couch thinking he was dying. Not worth it. Now he always asks how long something has been there. He always teases me about how I tried to kill him.
Edited by Tangerine302 On February 22, 2012 5:51 AM
February 22, 2012 5:53 AM
I've had food poisoning from chicken and it's not pretty. No way, no how would I eat it.
February 22, 2012 5:55 AM
I would vote no to eating it, personally. I have a friend, though, who stores his chicken salad sandwiches in his desk for 6+ hours and eats them and is always fine. My luck, I'd be hurling for days. sick laugh

Oh, and the sniff test? I completely lack the ability to smell bad meat. I can smell everything else (am really sensitive to smells, actually) except rancid meat. Weird! I have to get my hubby to do the sniff test for me when things are bad. I have a "hmm...it smells a bit funny" thought, pull him over to check and he's like "HOLY CRAP, THAT SMELLS AWFUL". It would be funny if it weren't so frustrating!
Edited by Graciecny On February 22, 2012 6:00 AM
  16615575
February 22, 2012 5:57 AM
Nope, don't chance it.
  5248857
February 22, 2012 5:58 AM
No...........food poisoning is not fun.....
  9584041
February 22, 2012 5:58 AM
QUOTE:

I cooked some chicken and left it out all night (12hours) in a sealed container.... Eat or no?

re-heat and eat.
Edited by minnesota_deere On February 22, 2012 5:58 AM

Message Boards » Food and Nutrition

Posts by members, moderators and admins should not be considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy.