I have a low calorie cookbook (1,001 Low-fat Recipes by Sue Splitler) and found this pizza recipe in it. It's AMAZING and so much better than any of the chain pizza places around (not to mention, much more healthy). It's a little time consuming because you have to make everything from scratch (takes me about an hour to make it), but it is totally worth it! I don't put the tomatoes on; I just make it a cheese pizza, but you can probably add any kind of topping that you want on this, but I've never done it before since it tastes just fine with just cheese.
Fresh Tomato and Basil Pizza
Prep: 60 minutes
Cook: 20 minutes
Olive oil cooking spray
Basic Pizza Dough (see below)
Pizza Sauce (see below)
1-2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 cup (4 ounces) fat-free mozzarella cheese
½- ¾ cup (2-3 ounces) reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
12 basil leaves or 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
1. Spray 12-inch pizza pan with cooking spray; spread dough on pan, making rim around edge. Mix Pizza Sauce and garlic; spread over dough. Sprinkle with cheeses; top with tomato slices and basil.
2. Bake pizza at 425 degrees until crust is browned. 15 to 20 minutes
Nutritional Information (6 servings; one serving = 1/6 of pizza)
Fat: 1.8g (sat: 1.1g)
Basic Pizza Dough
1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour, divided
1 package fast-rising yeast
½ teaspoon sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup very hot water (120 degrees)
1. Combine ¾ cup flour, yeast, sugar and salt in medium bowl; add hot water, stirring until smooth. Mix in enough of remaining ½ flour to make a soft dough. (I always mix in the rest of the flour (no need for any more than recipe calls for) and mix until its smooth and not sticky; usually takes about 5-10 minutes)
2. Knead dough on floured surface until smooth and elastic, 3 to 5 minutes. Cover dough with inverted bowl; let stand 15 minutes before using. Spread dough on pan according to directions in pizza recipe.
Nutritional Information (one 12-inch crust (6 large slices); one serving = 1/6 of pizza)
Fat: 0.3g (sat: 0g)
Olive oil cooking spray
1 small onion, chopped
¼ cup chopped green bell pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can (8 ounces) reduced-sodium tomato sauce
½ teaspoon dried basil leaves
¼ teaspoon dried oregano leaves
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Spray medium saucepan with cooking spray; heat over medium heat until hot. Saute onion, bell pepper, and garlic until tender, about 5 minutes.
2. Stir in tomato sauce and herbs; heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until sauce thickens, about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper
Nutritional Information (four servings; one serving = ¼ cup)
Fat: 0.1g (sat: 0g)
TOPIC: Low calorie/low fat pizza recipe!
Topic has been inactive for 30 days or more and images have been disabled.
Display All Images
Joined Jan 2012
January 23, 2012 3:05 PM
Posts by members, moderators and admins should not be considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy.