Message Boards » Food and Nutrition

TOPIC: Peanut butter allergy

 
Ic_disabled_photos
Topic has been inactive for 30 days or more and images have been disabled.
Display All Images
January 2, 2012 4:52 AM
Hello all and happy new yr!

Few days ago I ate some peanut butter on toast and my tongue went numb. I could not feel it and it felt a bit sore/painful. This never happened before and I do not have a nut allergy.

My throat and right ear starting hurting too. I immediately spat out the peanut butter and used mouthwash and the feeling in my tongue came back and the pain went away!

I will see my doctor but should I be worried???

thanks for reading
January 2, 2012 4:56 AM
I wouldn't worry too much particularly if the symptoms haven't lasted but is worth getting it checked out. It may be something that was added to the peanut butter rather than 'peanut' itself.
January 2, 2012 4:58 AM
I thought about that too.... the internet says if it is an allergy your tongue should tingle and this was nt the case so maybe it was something else and not the peanut butter itself. ty so much for posting
January 2, 2012 5:01 AM
Unfortunately sometimes allergies can be triggered at certain times - for example, you could go for years eating peanuts, and then develop an allergy to them.
If I were you, I'd go to the doctors just to get allergy tested. A nut allergy can be live threatening, so it's definitely worth it, just to be sure! :)
  8933463
January 2, 2012 5:02 AM
Allergies can appear anytime. You should not eat peanuts again before you get tested for allergies. Sounds like a really serious reaction. If it is a real allergy it will only get worst next time you eat peanut butter. My daughter has 7 food allergies....so I know. She has 2 allergie specialists.
January 2, 2012 5:04 AM
ty for your posts! yes the allergies can unfortunately come anytime. I am laying off peanuts for a while till I get tested....
January 2, 2012 5:10 AM
Fact: If you eat enough peanut butter, you will eventually become allergic to it. The problem is everyone is different, so how much I would need is different from what others will need to get to that point. Could be a pound a day, meaning youll probably neevr get there. I had a similar reaction to almonds after years of eating them and dismissed it and two weeks later ate some more....my throat began to swell and I was 15 minutes away from dying.

See an allergist. If you have an allergy or are developing one, it could easily get worse.
January 2, 2012 5:14 AM
Slayerdan wow that is scary!!!! defo am not touching any peanuts until I see a specialist ....I hardly ever eat peanut butter that is my I was quite surprised but allergies r unpredictable ....
January 2, 2012 5:31 AM
Usually an allergy is caused when you're still in the womb but can be triggered at any point in your life. It happened to me recently with shrimp which I rarely ate but was starting to realized I actually loved when I found out I can't eat it. And after 47 years of no allergies my mom suddenly had an allergy to gluton triggered
  2219808
January 2, 2012 5:33 AM
Definitely see a doctor. You should have some allergy tests done. I started eating peanut butter on the recommendation of some people here having never had it before. After a few weeks I started getting lumps on my face and my asthma got much worse, so I have now stopped, and am awaiting an allergy test in March (soonest appointment available!). In the meantime I am avoiding all peanuts.
January 2, 2012 5:37 AM
QUOTE:

Fact: If you eat enough peanut butter, you will eventually become allergic to it.


citation needed
  4771756
January 2, 2012 5:41 AM
QUOTE:

QUOTE:

Fact: If you eat enough peanut butter, you will eventually become allergic to it.


citation needed


my allergy to water should be just around the corner...
  11030279
January 2, 2012 5:54 AM
wow 47 YEARS allergy free and boom all of a sudden .....
January 2, 2012 5:56 AM
and yes am defo getting tests done... I also have red patches on my face, near the eye which comes up in the morning and goes away in the evening .... maybe nut allergy related?
January 2, 2012 6:46 AM
QUOTE:

Hello all and happy new yr!

Few days ago I ate some peanut butter on toast and my tongue went numb. I could not feel it and it felt a bit sore/painful. This never happened before and I do not have a nut allergy.

My throat and right ear starting hurting too. I immediately spat out the peanut butter and used mouthwash and the feeling in my tongue came back and the pain went away!

I will see my doctor but should I be worried???

thanks for reading


Definitely get checked out because allergies can suddenly appear. Something you had been okay with before, suddenly you are not okay with.

At least if you get checked out you will know whether you have to avoid it in the future or not.

Reply

Message Boards » Food and Nutrition

Posts by members, moderators and admins should not be considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy.