Message Boards » Fitness and Exercise

TOPIC: pain in upper thigh/groin/front where leg meets hip when wal

Topic has been inactive for 30 days or more and images have been disabled.
Display All Images
November 7, 2010 12:08 PM
Hi! I used to walk a lot. When I was younger and slim I would easily do 2-3 miles a day at a rate of 16-17 minutes/mile, and on weekends anywhere from 5-6 miles. Up until a year ago I was still able to do 3 mph's and often did, although I was anywhere from 215-230. However, about 4 years ago I had started other kinds of exercise and was doing pilates weekly. During that time I hurt my upper right leg - muscularly - from doing leg lifts, etc and probably not stretching enough. I also have always had lower back problems/ sciatic problems, with sharp pains that freeze me in whatever position I am in. Both are on my right.

This year I put on even more weight, now reaching 260 (hence joining here yesterday). Now my right leg is so weak I have to use my hand to help me raise my leg (putting on pants, crossing legs, etc) and I get a very sharp pain on the inside upper thigh/groin when I do lift my leg. When I walk, the front/outside of my upper thigh hurts and has very sharp twinges with each step. So much so it makes me not want to walk (read exercise). There is no pain at all at rest.

I just went for a walk, a little over 2 miles. It took me 50 minutes and I was in pain almost all the time. The walk has an uphill at the beginning, flat in the middle and then downhill at the end. I found that there was no pain at all when I was going downhill (only a slight decline), but pain on the flat and sharp twinges on the slight incline.

I thought the leg/thigh pain was my It band but looking at pictures, that muscle is on the outside, not the inside or front. It's hard to ice the area, but I do take Motrin when needed.

Any ideas what it is and how to ease the pain so I don't dread walking? (I think the pain will diminish as I lose weight).
November 7, 2010 12:21 PM
Can you get physical therapy? It sounds like either a hip flexor (iliopsoas) strain, or a SI (sacroiliac) joint issue. The no pain on decline makes me think more hip flexor than SIJ. I would recommend stretching that out, and going core strengthening. NOT leg lifts. Maybe bridges, crunches, and planks. I'll link to some photos of stretches and planks for you. This site has 2 stretches, depending on which works best for you. If getting down on your knees is painful, you can do the second stretch in standing. The first stretch is more friendly for your back, as you wont go into extension and further irritate things. Try and keep your abs tight while you're doing both of these. That is a plank. You can start on your knees and elbows, until you build strength and can graduate to toes.

*as always, consult your physician before starting any exercise program, I am merely some random person on the internet giving free advice.*
November 7, 2010 12:22 PM
For pain that serious and prolonged, I would see a doctor (preferably a sports doc). There could be exercises, or things to avoid...
November 7, 2010 12:24 PM
sound like adductor/hip flexor repetitive motion injury or thing to do is stagnant stretching (holding a stretch for 30+ seconds without bouncing or anything), and make sure to warm up/cool down and get enough rest. hope you feel better!

Seeing a sports doc/ortho/chiropractor isn't a bad idea either....
Edited by missyhse On November 7, 2010 12:27 PM
November 7, 2010 12:29 PM
thank you so much! I'll look at the stretches and hopefully they will help. If not, I will go to the dr and see what he says.
November 7, 2010 12:36 PM
I would try a chiropractor and maybe even massage. good luck I hope the stretches help,. Also a hot tub and water aerobics might help and be easier on your joints
November 7, 2010 12:53 PM
I am always bad about doing my stretches before and after, until I hurt something which motivates me to do it right, LOL. The stretches help, hope you feel better soon.
November 7, 2010 2:22 PM
Sounds like hip flexor to me also. I would recommend seeing a physical therapist specializing in sports injury. They will give you some exercises to do that will get you going again. I would NOT recommend a chiropractor for your issue. If you have a pinched nerve or something, the PT will help with that. Keep tracking your calories and staying under your daily goals until you get something figured out.

Take care of yourself!
February 19, 2011 7:58 PM
Thanks for posting this link! I found the stretches useful.
February 19, 2011 8:03 PM
I am impressed and for the most part agree with everyone who posted.
I would not see a chiro -- and Im not really sure I would see a doctor either (except to get a PT referral).
Definately sounds like a hip flexor issues. You probably have tight hips -- alot of people mistake that for IT band issues which are not the same thing...

I would strongly recommend a THAI massage -- its basically lazy mans yoga. I have been doing this monthly and it has massively helped my hip flexor issues!
January 16, 2013 7:28 PM
Obesity and overweight are two of the leading causes of osteoarthritis - which is basically wear and tear on the joint. Pain in the front of the hip is a symptom of OA. It may also be bursitis. To make sure you don't exacerbate an injury or condition, go see an orthopedic specialist and get an x-ray. Whether or not you have damage, you will likely get a referral to PT, which will help you build strength in the supporting muscles using correct form and technique. Then gradually work your way up. Walking 2 miles on an injury is not a good idea - nor is stretching a damaged joint or muscle without guidance from a professional. Find out what the problem is. Then you will know what and how much you can do. Good luck!
February 15, 2014 9:16 AM
I am having the same issue with the pain in front of thigh and have seen a chiropractor, acupuncturist and kinisiologist and nothing has helped!
I will see a massage therapist today and possibly some PT. Thank you


Message Boards » Fitness and Exercise

Posts by members, moderators and admins should not be considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy.