Insanity Day 21
It takes 21 days to make a habit of anything. Is that really true?! If so...then why do I still dread my workout every single morning?! Maybe that statement is for super humans...not a mom with a 10 months old who poos and eats around the clock...
Even so, it has been 21 days and I am slowly creeping towards the end of Month 1. I wish I could tell you it gets easier but it doesn't. It still feels like I'm dying, it still feels like I'm dry heaving, it still feels like I'm flooding the rug with my sweat and Shaun T is still as hot as ever, gay or straight...that man's got it going on!
You always see people with TOP TIPS for exercise programs and it's really more or less the same things...hold your core in, bend your knees, take it at your own pace, FORM, FORM, IT'S ALL ABOUT THE FORM! But that's all great when you're a professional and you've been doing it for gazillion years so you are ALWAYS in correct form. It's a different story when you're like me who thinks she looks like a beautiful swan when doing a stretch when I really look like a overtired hippo who's doing her best not to fall over.
So here are MY tips for Insanity...these are all the things that have happened to me so take it as you will but I have to put a disclaimer that I am NOT a fitness professional.
1. Do not eat or drink too much liquid right before your workout because you will probably throw up and end up having to pause and clean up the mess you've made before you. Not pleasant especially at 7am.
2. When doing Suicides, make sure you have no obstructions around you ie toys, chairs, a coffee table or in my case, the wall because when you're 'going for it' you might run the chance of smacking right into the wall.
3. When doing a Hip Flexor Stretch with one of your arms up in the air, do hold your core in because if you have a flabby belly like mine, your belly will be in the way and your form will not only be wrong (suscestible to back pain) you will also look like you've strained yourself trying to reach that last Oreo from the kitchen counter.
4. Wear fitted exercise pants/shorts so you don't end up doing a Globe Jump in your underwear or worst...butt naked. No one needs to see that at 7am, not even Shaun T...or your cats.
5. Have your bottle of water with the cap off because the short 30 second breaks you get, you barely have time to breath and stop dry heaving, the last thing you need to do is struggle to open the bottle cap.
6. When doing the Upper Cut Punches, DO NOT LOOK AT YOUR FISTS because you will eventually punch yourself in the nose like I did this morning.
7. When doing any type of plank moves, don't strain your neck and look up trying to see if Shaun T has decided to take off more pieces of clothing because he hasn't and is busy picking up dead atheletes from the gym floor.
8. When all is finished, peel yourself off the floor and give yourself a big pat on the back and ignore the Insanity Calendar for rest of the day because no point stressing yourself out over the Pure WTF you have to do tomorrow.
That is all folks!
Bring on Recovery Day!