One of the issues that we're working on right now is cleaning up the food database, and in particular, reducing the number of duplicate entries. Our first step is to try to reduce the number of duplicates that are being created in the first place.
To help us in that effort, we wanted to ask all of you if you are intentionally creating duplicates, and if so, why? We're trying to understand all of the reasons why people are creating dups, because we know that there are many valid reasons why you might create a duplicate food. Here are some of our current theories:
- You didn't search for the item before trying to enter it in the database
- You searched for the item, but due to deficiencies in our search engine (i.e. it doesn't always catch misspellings, etc.), you didn't find it
- You found a matching item, but it didn't have the serving size you needed
- You found a matching item, but the nutritional contents didn't match. You didn't edit the item because you thought the nutritional item might be accurate but for a different country or region
- You found a matching item, but the nutritional contents didn't match. You didn't know how to edit it, so you created a duplicate
Are there any other reasons why any of you are intentionally creating duplicate items? If so, please let us know. Our goal is to try to improve the site so that you don't have to create a duplicate item to solve these problems. For example, we're trying to figure out how to allow people to add additional serving sizes to existing items.
Let us know in the comments below, or in this forum topic:
If you prefer, you can also send me a private message with your feedback.
Thanks for your feedback! With your help, we hope to make the food database and MFP even better.
Hope you are all enjoying the site.
Mike & Al
Posted on 5/08/2011 by mike