*UPDATE* - we've got enough users for our test, so we're no longer accepting any applications to the beta. If you didn't make it in, don't panic - we hope to have the final version ready shortly for everyone to use.
At long last, we're very close to releasing a new version of our iPhone app. There are a few minor enhancements, but the major new feature in this version will be the ability to use the app offline. For iTouch users, this will be a huge benefit - you won't have to be connected via wi-fi in order to use the app. Instead, the app will just save your entries locally and synchronize to the website when online access is available. For iPhone users, this version should feel a little faster, plus it will contain some minor new features like a new Recently Used Foods list, and the ability to have your favorites lists across ALL meals, not just one meal.
In order to make the app work offline, we ended up having to rewrite large portions of the app, so before we release it to everyone, we'd like to conduct a beta test with some volunteers to make sure we have all the major kinks worked out. If you're interested in helping us test the new version, please send me a message on MyFitnessPal with the following information:
1) What device you are using (iTouch, iPhone 2G, iPhone 3G, or iPhone 3GS)
2) What version of the iPhone OS you have on your device. You can find this by going to "Settings" on your device, then tap "General", then tap "About". The iPhone OS version is listed under "Version"
3) What country you live in (U.S., Canada, etc.)
4) Your email address
5) How long you've been using MyFitnessPal for (roughly)
I also will need you to send me the UUID of your iPhone/iTouch. You can find your UDID by taking the following step:
- Connect your iPhone/iTouch to your Mac or PC.
- When iTunes opens, click on your device under the "Devices" section in the left-hand column.
- The "Summary" tab in iTunes should now be visible. Click the "Serial Number" label. You'll notice "Serial Number" changes to "Identifier".
- Click on "Edit" in the menu at the top and select "Copy"
- Now compose a mail message to me, and you can paste that Identifier into the mail message.
Please don't post this information as a comment to this blog post. Instead, send me a mail message through MyFitnessPal by visiting:
Anyone can apply, but if you are accepted, we do require that you answer a few questions about your experience with the app, i.e. give us your opinion about the application as well as let us know of any bugs/crashes/etc. that you find. We probably won't be able to accept everyone, so please don't be disappointed if you don't make it into the beta. We hope to have the official app available very shortly.
Also, here's a couple of quick updates about other mobile devices:
Android: We've begun work on an Android app, and it's coming along nicely. We're not quite sure when the app will be complete, but we'll keep you all posted as soon as we have more news.
Blackberry: We haven't started building a Blackberry app yet, but we've begun planning/designing one. Once the Android app is complete, Blackberry will be next on our list.
Thanks, and hope you are enjoying the site!
- Mike & Al