Looking for volunteer forum moderators
UPDATE - wow, since I posted this, we have had a LOT of volunteers. Thank you so much to everyone who's offered to help! Given the strong response we've had already, I think we have enough volunteers for now. If you've already sent me a message, I will respond to you as soon as I can. And if you were dying to be a forum mod but haven't sent me a message yet, don't worry - our hope is to rotate forum mods in an out over time to keep the perspectives fresh, so there will be plenty of opportunities to participate in the future. Thanks everyone!
Since the New Year, MFP has had an absolutely HUGE influx of new members. It's been amazing to see how the site that we started on a whim over 5 years ago has somehow grown into such an active and thriving community. We've had a lot of fun getting to know some of the new folks, and we hope you've all enjoyed your time here so far. Welcome everyone!
There has been one downside, though, to all of the new people and activity on the site. Some of you may have noticed that we haven't been posting as often in the forums, that our Twitter and Facebook posts have slowed down, and that it's taking us longer and longer to respond to messages. It's not for a lack of desire or effort - it's because Al and I are completely swamped! We've been hard at work trying to make sure the site can handle all of the new traffic, as well as maintaining our (soon to be 3!) mobile apps. The additional work, combined with the MUCH higher volume of customer service requests, etc. has frankly left us scrambling a bit. The good news is that we've been hard at work trying to find some help, so hopefully you'll see some improvements shortly.
Along those lines, one of the activities that's been taking a lot of time lately is moderating the forums. To date, Al and I have been the only ones monitoring the forums at all, and with all of the new activity on the site, forum moderation alone has practically become a full-time job.
So we'd like to ask for your help. We're looking for volunteers to become Forum Moderators who could help us with the following activities:
- Help welcome new members to the site and make sure any questions they have get answered
- Help us answer technical support and other site/app questions
- Alert us to any technical issues so we can make sure they get addressed promptly
- Help collect feedback and suggestions for the site so that nothing gets lost in the cracks
- And finally, help us moderate any disputes on the site and make sure the forum rules are enforced fairly and consistently
- A long-time user of the site who's been fairly active during that time
- Great interpersonal skills and a strong writer
- A very thick skin and ability to stay calm, diplomatic, and fair under any circumstance
- The mods should represent a broad-section of the site and come from different groups, different countries, etc. For example, we'd like at least 1-2 mods from the UK
- Ideally (but not required), someone with previous forum moderation experience