Everyone is aware of the 4 to 5 fresh fruits and vegetables intake
recommended by the FDA to stay healthy. But at times I find it very difficult to reach the daily quota of fruits. That is until I discovered the virtues of home-made fruit and vegetable juices which is surely the most convenient and easiest way to meet that recommendation.
Fresh home-made juices are important in a diet to maintain a good health. They are also very tasty and packed with natural vitamins, fibre, minerals and flavonoids (antioxidants).
Health benefits of fruit based juices are:
- Protection against premature aging of body cells. This property is conferred by the presence of flavonoids which are excellent antioxidants and also by vitamin B, C and E. Flavonoids are also important due to their antiviral, anti-allergic, anti-inflammatory and anti-tumor activities.
- They contain elements that act as barriers against sunlight or more precisely ultra-violet rays.
- They help in lowering risk of developing cancers.
- They contain chlorophyll which help in the synthesis of oxygen-carrying compounds (hemoglobin) in the blood.
- They contain fibre which enhance nutrient absorption and reduces the number of fat molecules reaching the blood stream.
- They contain vitamin C that prevents scurvy disease which is the bleeding of gums and dislodging of tooth from their cavities.
- They contain metals like iron which prevent deficiency disease like anemia which is a condition where the body cannot carry enough oxygen to all parts of the body.
- They prevent dehydration of cells as they contain 65% of clean and pure water.
- According to recent studies fruit juices can cut the risks of contracting Alzheimer's.
- Unlike certain rumors fresh fruit juices does not cause weight gain.
HOMEMADE JUICES V/S PACKED JUICES
Five reasons to choose homemade drinks over packed beverages.
- Most packed juices are stuffed with sugar which make these beverages more caloric than a fresh blended fruit.
- Natural fruits does not contain any artificial food colorings or additives which are often not very good to our body. Such fruits juices can be distinguished from a homemade juice through the light or strong coloration of the tongue upon consumption.
- The skin which contains much fibre are removed in packed juice. Skin of grapes and other fruits contains cancer preventing molecules.
- Many fruit juices are boiled before packing to kill bacteria but in the process important vitamins and natural elements, essential to the body are destroyed.
- The packed fruit juices are filtered from pulps before canned and boxed to maintain a good fluidity. These pulps contains most of the antioxidants. And those drinks labeled with added pulp are not very viable because there are no guarantee that it is the original natural pulp which is redded.
Juices that provide health benefits:
I am in no way against those who consume packed juices but in my opinion they are just water stuffed with sugar and deprived of most of their nutritive contents. Having a fresh whole fruit or a blend of fresh fruits is much better than those juice.
Reference: Raw Foods - Benefits of Juicing
or Save To: del.icio.us | Stumble It! | reddit