Bubble-Up Enchilada Casserole
Don't let the casserole idea turn you off. This is manna from heaven. It's the sweet (and spicy) nectar of the gods. It is pure and utter bliss in food form. Here we go!
What you need:
Meat of your choice (ground or pulled. I prefer to cook my meat in the crockpot or bake it so I can pull it apart and pat it down to get the fats off)
1 10oz can enchilada sauce
1 can pinto or black beans (your preference)
1 can pillsbury biscuits (10 count)
1 can tomato sauce (plain, no seasoning added) OR 3 tbs tomato paste
1tsp red cayenne pepper
1-2 dashes crushed red pepper (eliminate any of the extra pepper if you're not into the heat)
4-6 spring onions (green onions) chopped
1 cup (ish) mexican shredded cheese
What you do:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly mist a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
2. Pre-cook your meat so it is ready to go (fully cooked) into a skillet with other ingredients. Saute the meat with onions until the onions are bright green but not wilted.
3. Add the enchilada sauce, tomato paste, and beans to the meat and stir to combine. Cut each of the biscuits into quarters and stir them into the meat mixture. (whenever I add the biscuits like this they tend to clump up together in a giant ball, so I add them into the baking dish by hand after the mixture is in the dish).
4. Transfer the entire mixture to the prepared baking dish and spread out evenly. Bake uncovered for 25 minutes . Remove from the oven and sprinkle the cheese on top. Bake an additional 10 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
5. Top with your choice of sour cream, (i love greek yogurt on top!) extra green onions, or anything else you love on your Mexican dishes.
For the original recipe, visit www.emilybites.com. Emily created her own blog to transform classic home cooking and weight watcher recipes in to amazing meals that follow weight watcher points. The added bonus of her recipes is that she puts them all into the MFP food calculator so the calories are under each of her recipes (including carbs, fats, etc...).
I hope you all like this. It is an AMAZING meal that my famiyl requests at least twice a month. Let me put it to you this way. In the month of February, I made this dish with chicken, pork, and twice with beef. That's once a week in 4 weeks. Yep. It's a winner!
i've made my own additions and tweaks to the recipe, as most people do, but it only adds nutritional value to the dish. The onions are my addition, and sometimes I l roast up a poblano pepper and saute it in with the onions. It adds a really great smoky flavor to the dish!
I'm trying the recipe today in the crockpot so I don't have to run the oven. I basically cooked my meat this morning, drained off about 90% of the drippings, used the remaining 10% of drippings to whisk together all the spices (I added cumin and paprika to the pepper mixtures), shredded the meat and added it back into the mix. Then I added the beans, cut up biscuits, and enchilada sauce. It already smells amazing and I tested the meat with the spices a little while ago. I'm dying to dish it out right now, but the biscuits need to continue cooking haha.
Enjoy it if you make it!! It won't dissapoint!