Coconut Oil: 10 Uses for this Miracle Elixir ;)
I discovered the many incredible benefits of coconut oil a few months back and I really wanted to share them with you guys. I'm amazed I spent 26 years not reaping the benefits of this incredible oil!
You want to get coconut oil that is:
- Virgin. Or Extra-Virgin, if you don't mind coconut scent and flavor.
- Organic. Not grown with pesticides or foreign chemicals.
- Unrefined. Unfiltered, no additives; pure. The only ingredient on the label should be coconut oil.
- Cold-Pressed is ideal, as it preserves delicate oils and nuances. I use expeller-pressed because that's what my grocer carries and it's working fine for me.
Here are the things I love about coconut oil!
- Weight loss. Really. The medium-chain fatty acids help dissolve body fat. Additionally, its exothermic properties can actually raise your core temperature a bit, which accelerates metabolism. You know me, I'm a big fan of increased metabolism. Check my green tea blog as an example: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/McKayMachina/view/to-green-tea-or-not-to-green-tea-80721
- Appetite Suppression. I've been known to consume straight coconut oil (and foods cooked in coconut oil) before festivals and other events in order to quell my appetite so I don't spend money or calories on iffy foods. It works every time. If you're just starting out, take one teaspoon by mouth in the morning on an empty stomach. You can increase this to up to two tablespoons slowly over the course of several weeks. Do not jump right into the max dose or your tummy will be mad at you.
- Hair conditioner. I'm not an all-natural-obsessed hippie (sorry, hippies - I ♥ you!). But I have been using coconut oil exclusively in place of conditioner for the last four months and I will never go back. It makes my hair look and feel amazing. It's actually stronger and shinier now. I save no less than $200 per year on conditioner. A little bit goes a long way! I scoop a bit onto the back of my thumbnail, liquefy it in my hands and apply from ends to roots (without actually applying to the scalp). It's glorious.
- Teeth whitening. Yes, you can whiten your teeth dramatically using coconut oil. I've always had relatively white teeth but now they are freakishly so. It's great! No one believes I don't get them professionally whitened. It takes a few weeks but the natural results are worth the wait. Once per week, every Monday, I do oil-pulling using coconut oil. Oil-pulling has many benefits, one of which is whitening your teeth. Basically, swish half a tablespoon of oil around in your mouth, through your teeth, through every nook and cranny, for up to 20 minutes. Spit out ALL the oil and brush your teeth normally afterward. Easy!
- General health of teeth and bones. Coconut oil facilitates calcium absorption by the body. It also stops tooth decay. No dentures for you!
- General overall body health. Benefits include boosting immunity, healing bruises and skin infections, Kills viruses that cause influenza, measles, hepatitis, herpes, SARS. Kills bacteria that cause ulcers, throat and urinary tract infections, pneumonia, gonorrhea. It's also effective on fungi and yeast responsible for causing ringworm, athlete's foot and diaper rash.
- Skin moisturizer. Before bed, scoop some oil onto your thumb nail and liquefy between your palms. Smooth over skin. Repeat as necessary on all body parts in need of moisturization. Cover all oiled parts with clothing so as not to oil up your bed linens. This means long-sleeves and pants for me sometimes. I shower at all different times of the day and the oil is totally absorbed by morning. I tend to moisturize only certain areas daily but make sure to do a full-body oil-down once per week. Feels great and, for me, eliminates the need for body creams. And I live in über-dry Arizona so that's saying something!
- Healthier cooking oil. I love cooking with coconut oil. Its calorie count is identical to extra-virgin olive oil but its neutral flavor lends to a more expansive array of foods. And it's great for baking!
- Saturated fats for improved digestion. The saturated fats present in coconut oil have antimicrobial properties that help deal with bacteria, fungi and parasites that cause indigestion and other tummy troubles. Also helps prevent constipation. Always a good thing. ;p
- Higher smoke point. I make my homemade popcorn with coconut oil and it's wonderful: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/McKayMachina/view/under-100-calorie-easy-yummy-homemade-popcorn-86922
These 10 things really are the tip of the iceberg. Coconut oil goes SUCH a long way. I employ it for all these uses and more and am JUST NOW finishing my first 14-oz. jar! At $8 per jar, I can say it's WELL worth it.
Coconut oil. Get some! :D
* I've gleaned all this information from a wide variety of sources over the last several months. There is TONS of info about coconut oil benefits online. I urge you to ask me questions and I will answer them as best as I can...or do your own online search. There's so much great info available! :)